How to request a specific registration number
Service des Titres de Circulation
23, Avenue Albert II
MC 98014 MONACO CEDEX
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office :
(+377) 98 98 80 14
Fax : (+377) 98 98 40 36
Opening Hours : from 9.30am to 5.00pm from Monday to Friday
Principle and conditions
When a motor vehicle, moped, lightweight trailer or semi-trailer is registered so that it can be put on (or returned to) the road in the Principality, a registration certificate and plates will be issued, indicating the registration number allocated to the vehicle. This cannot be changed at the request of the owner except in the event that the number plates are lost or stolen.
This registration number is made up of a group of numbers, or a group of letters and numbers, which may vary depending on the category to which the vehicle belongs:
- For motorcycles and similar vehicles, including mopeds, the number comprises two letters and two numbers, ranging from AA01 to ZZ99 (excluding MC01 to MC99, MP01 to MP99, PM01 to PM99). The letters are taken from the following list: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, X, Y, Z
- For trailers and semi-trailers with a total laden weight of more than 750 kg, the number comprises one letter and a maximum of three numbers, ranging from A001 to A999
- For cars, the number comprises:
- A group of four numbers, from 0001 to 9999
- A letter followed by a group of three numbers, the letters are taken from the following list: B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, X, Y
- A group of three numbers followed by a letter from the list below: B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, K, L, N, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, X, Y
- The letter Z followed by a group of three numbers. This sequence is reserved for the individuals referred to in Article 102 of Sovereign Ordinance no. 1.691 of 17 December 1957amended who hold a deed or lease in their own name for a home in the Principality
When a vehicle is registered, this number may be:
- Assigned by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office
- A number which has been transferred at the written request of the owner via the application to register a vehicle form. It should be noted that a registration number allocated to a vehicle and removed from the register is held for a period of four months for use by the vehicle owner to register a new vehicle
- The result of a request for a specific number submitted prior to registering the vehicle as outlined below
Formulating the request
The request for specific registration numbers must be sent to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office by post or email at the following address firstname.lastname@example.org stating the desired registration number or a list of suitable numbers in order of preference.
Finding out whether a number is available
Following consideration of the request, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office will send a written response by post or email within 10 days.
In the event that none of the requested numbers are available, the vehicle owner will be invited to visit the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office where a number will be assigned to the vehicle.
If a requested number is available, it will be held for the owner of the new vehicle for two months. Written confirmation by post or email must be submitted together with the application to register the vehicle.