How to request or renew an electronic tachograph driver card
Service des Titres de Circulation
23, Avenue Albert II
MC 98014 MONACO CEDEX
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office :
(+377) 98 98 80 14
Fax : (+377) 98 98 40 36
Opening Hours : from 9.30am to 5.00pm from Monday to Friday
Principle and condition
The tachograph driver card is issued, on request, to a holder of a Monegasque driving licence authorising the holder to drive vehicles subject to Regulation (EEC) No 3820/85, whose normal residence under the terms of the European Road Transport Agreement (AETR) is in the Principality of Monaco.
The information on the card is the same as that on a driving licence. However, the card is not a substitute for a driving licence.
The card allows the holder to drive, abroad, road freight transport vehicles of more than 3.5 tonnes or passenger vehicles with more than 9 seats (including the driver's seat).
The card is unique to the holder and is authenticated by an on-board device in the vehicle. It remains the property of the holder, regardless of the company that employs him or her.
The card records the driver's activity in all the vehicles he or she drives. It lists:
- The activities undertaken (driving, rest, work and availability)
- The status of the driving (single- or double-manned driving)
- The identity of the vehicle used
- The distance covered
- Operating anomalies and breakdowns
The driver card is valid for five years. A driver may only hold a driver card that is valid, and may hold one card only.
There is a fee associated with this service - Please see STC - Tarifs 2020 en vigueur
Formulating the request
A request for renewal of a tachograph driver card must be sent to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office using the appropriate form, duly completed and signed.
The form may be:
- Downloaded online Chronotachygraphe électronique - Demande de carte conducteur (385-0041_01-2020 (STC014 bis))
- Collected from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office
Collating the documents
A request for renewal of a tachograph driver card must be accompanied by the following documents:
- A recent, coloured ID photo, on a light background, frontal view, bareheaded, of size 35x45, not scanned (your face must fill 70 to 80 % of the photo)
- A copy of both sides of a valid driving licence of Category B and/or Category D, authorising the holder to drive vehicles subject to Regulation (EEC) No 3820/85, for the road freight transport vehicles of more than 3.5 tonnes or passenger vehicles with more than 9 seats
- A copy of a valid ID document (ID card or national passport accompanied by proof of address, or residence permit)
- The payment, to be made by cash, cheque or postal order (clearable in Monaco or France), made out to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office and Visa or Mastercard bank cards only, in accordance with the current fee schedule
Submitting the application
You should submit the complete application without appointment to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office. A receipt for payment will be issued.
Collecting the tachograph driver card
On receipt of the tachograph driver card, which is valid for five years, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office will contact the applicant, who may collect the card (or send a representative) from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office's reception desk on presentation of the payment receipt, plus a proxy form if applicable, and on signature of a collection slip.
Renewing the tachograph driver card
Three months before the expiry date, a request to renew the tachograph driver card may be made, by applying to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office, by submitting the same documents as for the initial request and under the same conditions. The new card may be issued at the earliest 2 weeks before the expiry date of the original card. The original card must be kept for 1 month after its expiry date.
Reporting the malfunction of the tachograph driver card
In the event of a malfunction of the tachograph driver card, a duplicate can be requested by presenting the defective card at the reception desk of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office.
On receipt of the duplicate tachograph driver card, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office will contact the applicant, who may collect it (or send a representative) from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office's reception desk on presentation of the payment receipt and on signature of a collection slip.
- STC - Tarifs 2020 en vigueur 179 kB
- Ministerial Decree no. 2012-152 of 22 March 2012 regarding the issue of driver tachograph cards
- Ordonnance n. 1.884 du 26/09/2008 rendant exécutoire l'Accord européen relatif au travail des équipages des véhicules effectuant des transports internationaux par route (AETR), adopté à Genève le 1er juillet 1970, dans sa version consolidée