How to request a professional licence
Service des Titres de Circulation
23, Avenue Albert II
MC 98014 MONACO CEDEX
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office :
(+377) 98 98 80 14
Fax : (+377) 98 98 40 36
Opening Hours : from 9.30am to 5.00pm from Monday to Friday
Principle and conditions
You need a professional licence to work as taxi driver, chauffeur-driven vehicles, official city vehicles and motorcycles on request in Monaco.
To apply for it, you must:
- Have held a category A driving licence for more than four years for driving motorised two- or three-wheeled vehicles
- Or have held a category B driving licence for more than two years, for driving other vehicles
Obtaining a professional licence is subject to an investigation with regard to preserving national security, the successful completion of theory and practical tests and a medical examination by one of the approved doctors in the Principality.
The validity period of the professional licence is two years.
There is a fee associated with this service - Please see STC - Tarifs 2020 en vigueur
Formulating the request
A request for a professional licence must be made on plain paper, in accordance with the corresponding model, and sent to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office.
The pro forma may be:
- Downloaded online Livret professionnel - Taxis - Véhicules de remise - Véhicules de service de ville - Notice (STC015) (385-0028_05-2020)
- Or collected from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office
Collating the documents
An application for a professional licence must be accompanied by the following documents:
- A valid copy of an ID document (ID card or national passport accompanied by proof of address, or residence permit)
- A recent coloured ID photo, on a light background, frontal view, bareheaded, of size 35x45, not scanned
- The original of the valid driving licence
A full driving licence record from the issuing country, confirming that driving rights have not been suspended or cancelled, dated within the last 3 months
A declaration from the country of issue confirming that driving rights have not been suspended or cancelled, dated within the last 3 months
- An extract from criminal records of less than 3 months
- Your payment, to be made by cheque or postal order (clearable in Monaco or France), made out to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office, for the test fees and issue of the professional licence in accordance with the current fee schedule (payment will be cashed once your application has been validated)
PLEASE NOTE: The applicant’s address must be identical on all documents submitted. If this is not the case, please supply proof of address (for example, an electricity bill)
Submitting the application
You should submit the complete application and the required supporting documents to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office. No appointment is needed. A receipt for submitting the application and an information sheet with a reminder of the regulations will be provided.
Time limit for dealing with the request
As part of the examination of your request, an investigation will be carried out by the Publique Police Department, in accordance with the terms of the Ministerial Decree no. 2016-622 of 17 October 2016 implementing Article 3 of Act No. 1.430 of 13 July 2016 on various measures relating to the preservation of national security.
A maximum of 6 months is required to obtain the result of the investigation.
If it is favourable, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office will contact you by telephone to make an appointment for the theory tests.
If it is unfavourable, you will be notified of the decision, by mail, by His Excellency the Minister of State, and the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office will return your application file and payment to you, also by mail.
Taking the theoretical and practical tests
The examination consists of:
A theory part with two tests:
1. A test (10 questions) on the regulations. See the Ordonnance n° 1.720 du 4 juillet 2008 relative à la réglementation des taxis, des véhicules de remise, des véhicules de service de ville et des mot...
2. The theory test on the highway code and traffic regulations (the "ETG")
- A practical test in a chauffeured vehicle provided by a large chauffeur-driven company or a taxi vehicle provided by the Monaco Association of Independent Taxi Operators (AETIM)
It is necessary to pass both theory tests in order to take the practical test.
Collecting the professional licence card
Once the practical test has been successfully completed, the following additional documents must be provided to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office reception desk:
A medical certificate dated within the past 3 months, issued by a doctor in the Principality of Monaco who is authorised to conduct medical examinations to determine fitness to drive a land vehicle, in accordance with the model provided for that purpose
This may be:
- Downloaded online Certificat médical pour l'obtention du Livret professionnel (Taxis, Véhicules de remise, Véhicules de service de ville) et liste des médecins (STC0...
- Collected from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office
- For salaried drivers of chauffeur-driven vehicles or motorcycles, on request, an authorization of employment or a copy of a work permit duly registered with the Employment Service
- For taxi drivers, the ministerial authorisation
The professional licence card, which is valid for two years, is available within 72 hours of receipt of these documents at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office's reception desk.
- STC - Tarifs 2020 en vigueur 181 kB
- Ordinance no. 666 of 20 July 1959 instituting an insurance obligation as concerns the driving of motorised land vehicles
- Ordinance no. 1.720 of 04 July 2008 relating to the regulation of taxis, chauffeur-driven vehicles, official city vehicles and motorcycles on request
- Ministerial Decree no. 2008-452 of 8 August 2008 relating to the meter recording kilometres per hour and the illuminated display device in taxis
- Ministerial Decree no. 2012-583 of 5 October 2012 relating to the annual maintenance declaration provided for in Article 38-4 of the Ordinance 1.720 of 04 July 2008 relating to the regulation of taxis, chauffeur-driven vehicles, official city vehicles and motorcycles on request, amended
- Ministerial Decree no. 2014-345 of 24 June 2014 setting out the fares applicable to taxis
- Ministerial Decree no. 2014-329 of 16 June 2014 establishing the conditions for a minimum service for taxis, in application of Article 23 of the Ordinance no. 1.720 of 04 July 2008 relating to the regulation of taxis, chauffeur-driven vehicles, official city vehicles and motorcycles on request
- Ministerial Decree no. 2014-689 of 12 December 2014 establishing the conditions for issuing the authorisation given to operators of taxis or vehicle rentals with foreign drivers
- Article 117 of Highway Code
- Ministerial Decree no. 2008-451 of 8 August 2008 relating to the conditions and means of issuing and renewing the professional licence