How to obtain an A1 licence by proving your experience
Service des Titres de Circulation
23, Avenue Albert II
MC 98014 MONACO CEDEX
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office :
(+377) 98 98 80 14
Fax : (+377) 98 98 40 36
Opening Hours : from 9.30am to 5.00pm from Monday to Friday
Since publication of the Ordinance no. 5.274 of 1 April 2015 modifying the ordinance no. 1.691 of 17 December 1957 regulating road traffic rules (Highway Code), modified, holders of category B driving licences can no longer drive a 125cc two-wheel vehicle outside Monaco or a motor tricycle with a power ≤ 15 kW on an A1-equivalent category.
However, if you obtained a Monegasque B driving licence before 1 April 2015, you can apply to have it converted to an A1 licence on the basis of equivalence:
- Either by application, giving proof of insurance in your name for a light motorcycle or a motor tricycles with a power ≤ 15 kW for at least one year during the five years preceding the request
- Or by taking a practical test, comprising a highway code knowledge test and a driving test over a course
Those who have had their driving licence suspended, withdrawn or cancelled during the five years preceding the request (may not take advantage of this option) as well as persons who obtained a Monegasque driving licence from 1 April 2015 cannot benefit from these provisions.
Please note: this must be undertaken within five years of the publication of the Sovereign Ordinance, that is, since before 1st May 2020.
There is a fee associated with this service - Please see STC-Tarifs 2020 en vigueur
Formulating the request
The request for an A1 licence by proving your experience must be sent to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office using the appropriate form, duly completed and signed.
The form may be:
- Downloaded online Demande d’obtention de la catégorie de permis A1 ou A restreint aux tricycles à moteur (STC012) (385-0048_01-2020)
- Collected from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office
Collating the documents
The request for an A1 licence based on the previous licence held must be accompanied by the following documents:
- The original of the driving licence
- A copy of a valid ID document (ID card or national passport accompanied by proof of address, or residence permit)
- A recent, coloured ID photo, on a light background, frontal view, bareheaded, of size 35x45, not scanned
- If applicable, a certificate supplied by your insurance company proving your experience according to the following template: Modèle de justificatif d’assurance permis A1
- The payment, to be made by cash, cheque or postal order (clearable in Monaco or France), made out to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office and Visa or Mastercard bank cards only, in accordance with the current fee schedule
Submitting the application
You should submit the complete application without appointment at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office. A receipt for payment will be issued.
The original of your driving licence will be returned to you with a validity period of 15 days (unless sent by post), enabling you to drive until your new driving licence is issued.
If you do not have a certificate of insurance, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office will contact you in due course by telephone to make an appointment for the aptitude test.
Collecting the driving licence
The driving licence will be available within 72 hours of the submission of the application or after the successful completion of the aptitude test, at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office reception desk on presentation of the payment receipt.