How to enrol your child in nursery school
Direction de l'Éducation Nationale, de la Jeunesse et des Sports
Avenue de l'Annonciade
MC 98000 MONACO
Department of Education, Youth and Sport :
(+377) 98 98 83 05
Fax : (+377) 98 98 85 74
Opening Hours : from 9.30am to 5.00pm from Monday to Friday
Principle and conditions
Nursery schools (écoles maternelles) accept children who are too young for compulsory education. Children of three years of age and over, or children who have reached this age during the first quarter of the school year, and children aged four to five, can attend nursery school.
Nursery school is not compulsory.
All Monegasque children, or children with at least one Monegasque parent, can be enrolled on request in a state nursery school or private nursery schools under contract. Non-Monegasque children whose parents live in the Principality will be admitted if places are available.
State education is free; private education is fee-paying.
You must enrol your child or children during the time-periods stipulated by the Department of Education, Youth and Sport, unless you have moved to the Principality during the school year .
School enrolment periods
For the school year 2021-2022, the enrolment periods for State primary and secondary schools (Collèges) are from Monday 11 January to Friday 19 February inclusive.
Enrolment in State Lycées will take place from 1 February 2021 to 30 June 2021 inclusive.
Enrolment in an establishment offering private education under contract, takes place from Tuesday 5 January to Friday 19 march 2021 inclusive.
Choosing a school for your child
You can choose between:
- State education
- Private education under contract
- Private education
In the state sector, the school your child will attend depends on the geographical area in which you live. If you wish your child to attend a school in a different area, you should send a letter to the Department of Education, Youth and Sport before 1st May 2021, requesting an area exemption.
While awaiting a reply, you should enrol your child in the school in your area.
Collating the documents
To apply, you will need the following documents:
- The enrolment form
- A photocopy of your family record booklet or a birth certificate showing proof of parentage
- A photocopy of the child's vaccination records
- Three envelopes with stamps affixed at the current postal rate
- Three ID photos of the child
- A certificate of civil liability insurance, mentioning the name of the child (optional)
- For divorced parents: the divorce ruling (translated into French if necessary) and, in cases of shared parental custody, a letter from the second parent authorising schooling in Monaco, accompanied by a photocopy of an official document (such as an ID card, driving licence, passport)
- For parents who are separated: a photocopy of the official document specifying the adult who has custody and, in cases of joint parental custody, a letter from the second parent authorising schooling in Monaco, accompanied by a photocopy of an official document (such as an ID card, driving licence, passport). If you do not have an official document, you should provide a photocopy of a family allowance statement and a photocopy of your social insurance card
- School results for the current year (termly reports, details of marks attained, etc.)
- At the end of the school year, for all new enrolments, a certificate of deregistration from the child's previous school, mentioning the decision of the Class Council, with the exception of children who do not yet attend school
- A child’s certificate of nationality (or the one of the parents if only they are Monegasque)
- A certificate of residence
Families resident in Monaco
- A residence certificate less than 3 months old from the parents
- A copy of your valid residence permit
Submitting the application
Registrations will be taken in the secretarial offices of the schools concerned BY APPOINTMENT ONLY during official enrolment periods only.