Visiting someone in prison - information for families
La Maison d'Arrêt
4 avenue Saint Martin
MC 98000 MONACO
The Remand Prison of Monaco :
(+377) 98 98 20 00
You must obtain a visiting permit. You can collect a permit from the:
Palais de Justice
5 rue Colonel Bellando de Castro
Telephone: (+ 377) 98 98 88 11
You should take valid proof of identity and two photos in a 3.5 x 4.5 cm format.
Booking a Visit
Once you have been issued with a permit, you can make a booking with the officer on reception during visits, or by telephone on (+ 377) 98 98 45 73. Bookings must be made at least 24 hours before the date on which you wish to visit.
Visiting times are:
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 9 am to 11.45 am and from 1.15 pm to 5 pm (including public holidays).
Inmates are entitled to two visits per day, when possible.
Each visitor can only visit once a day.
Minors wishing to visit an inmate must be accompanied by an adult (who has authority for the child). Minors must be mentioned on the visiting permit of this adult.
The duration of the visit is 45 minutes. In exceptional circumstances, and by special request, double visiting times of 1 hour 30 minutes may be authorised. Visitors must present themselves ¼ hour before the time of the visit.
Late arrival will lead to automatic cancellation of the visit.
(For double visits, only the first visit will be cancelled).
Visiting permits granted to family members and anyone who can prove a justifiable reason for visiting an inmate are limited to a maximum of ten per inmate.
Conditions for Visits
Visits take place with no barrier. However, following a request by a visitor, an inmate or the Prison Director, the interviews can take place in a booth equipped with a two-way communication system.
It is forbidden:
- To smoke
- To eat
- and to give objects to the inmates
Inmates undergo a frisk search before each visiting session and a full body search after the visit.
Visitors must undergo checks at the entrance to the prison.
- Pay money into a registered account at the prison's registry
- Take clothing for the inmate in cases where an inmate will be taken outside the prison. The clothing may be handed to the officer on reception.
Anyone who does not respect the rules relating to the conduct of prison visits is liable to a range of administrative sanctions:
For holders of visiting permits:
- The placing of a barrier during visits
- Temporary suspension of visiting permits
- Cancellation of visiting permits
In addition to these measures, a complaint may be filed with the Public Prosecutor, depending on the circumstances.
- Misconduct will lead to a disciplinary procedure; in addition, a complaint may be filed with the Public Prosecutor
- Visits for inmates in disciplinary cells will automatically be cancelled on a temporary basis