How to enrol your child in primary school
Direction de l'Éducation Nationale, de la Jeunesse et des Sports
Avenue de l'Annonciade
MC 98000 MONACO
Department of Education, Youth and Sport :
(+377) 98 98 83 05
Fax : (+377) 98 98 85 74
Opening Hours : from 9.30am to 5.00pm from Monday to Friday
Principle and conditions
Education is compulsory for all children aged six to sixteen who are Monegasque nationals or living in Monaco. Education in the State sector is free; the private sector is fee-paying.
Children must be enrolled in primary school at the beginning of the calendar year in which they will reach the age of six, prior to starting school in September.
You must enrol your child or children during the time-periods stipulated by the Department of Education, Youth and Sport, unless you have moved to the Principality during the school year .
School enrolment periods
For the school year 2020-2021, the enrolment periods at State schools, are from Monday 6 January to Friday 14 February 2020 inclusive.
Enrolment at the Lycée François d'Assise-Nicolas Barré, an establishment offering private education under contract, takes place from Tuesday 7 January to Friday 20 march 2020 inclusive.
Outside these periods , you should contact the Department of Education, Youth and Sport.
Choosing a School for Your Child
You can choose between:
- State education
- Private education under contract
You can also educate your child at home, subject to the terms and checks set out in Article 5 of Act no. 1.334 of 12 July 2007 concerning education.
In the state sector, the school your child will attend depends on the geographical area in which you live. If you wish your child to attend a school in a different area, you should send a letter to the Department of Education, Youth and Sport before 15th June, requesting an area exemption.
While awaiting a reply, you should enrol your child in the school in your area.
Collating the documents
To apply, you will need the following documents:
- The enrolment form
- A photocopy of the family record booklet or a birth certificate showing proof of parentage
- A photocopy of the child's vaccination records
- A certificate stating that the child is no longer enrolled in his or her previous school, except for children who have not yet attended school
- School reports for the past three terms
- Three envelopes with stamps affixed at the current postal rate
- Three ID photos of the child
- A certificate of civil liability insurance, mentioning the name of the child (optional)
- For divorced parents: the divorce ruling (translated into French if necessary) and, in cases of shared parental custody, a letter from the second parent authorising schooling in Monaco, accompanied by a photocopy of an official document (such as an ID card, driving licence, passport)
- For parents who are separated: a photocopy of the official document specifying the adult who has custody and, in cases of joint parental custody, a letter from the second parent authorising schooling in Monaco, accompanied by a photocopy of an official document (such as an ID card, driving licence, passport). If you do not have an official document, you should provide the photocopy of a family allowance statement and a photocopy of your social insurance card
- School results for the current year (termly reports, details of marks attained, etc.)
- At the end of the school year, for all new enrolments, a certificate of deregistration from the child's previous school, mentioning the decision of the Class Council, with the exception of children who do not yet attend school
- A child’s certificate of nationality (or the one of the parents if only they are Monegasque)
- A certificate of residence
Families resident in Monaco:
- A residence certificate less than 3 months old from the parents
- A copy of your valid residence permit
Private establishments under contract:
In addition to the documents already mentioned above, private educational establishments under contract require the following documents:
- A certificate of baptism for Catholic children
- 4 recent passport photos (instead of 3)
Submitting the application
Registrations will be taken in the secretarial offices of the schools BY APPOINTMENT ONLY concerned during official enrolment periods only.
Testing to Assess the Child's Level
A test will be carried out to assess your child's level if:
- His or her mother tongue is a language other than French
- Your child was previously enrolled in a private school that was not under contract
In both cases, the Department of Education, Youth and Sport will send you the contact details of the Head of the school. You can then arrange the date of the test with him or her.