How to enrol your child in nursery school
Direction de l'Éducation Nationale, de la Jeunesse et des Sports
Avenue de l'Annonciade
MC 98000 MONACO
Department of Education, Youth and Sport :
(+377) 98 98 83 05
Fax : (+377) 98 98 85 74
Opening Hours : from 9.30am to 5.00pm from Monday to Friday
Principle and conditions
Nursery schools (écoles maternelles) accept children who are too young for compulsory education. Children of three years of age and over, or children who have reached this age during the first quarter of the school year, and children aged four to five, can attend nursery school.
Nursery school is not compulsory.
All Monegasque children, or children with at least one Monegasque parent, can be enrolled in a state nursery school on request. Non-Monegasque children whose parents live in the Principality will be admitted if places are available.
State education is free; private education is fee-paying.
You must enrol your child or children during the time-periods stipulated by the Department of Education, Youth and Sport, unless you have moved to the Principality during the school year.
School enrolment periods
For the school year 2018-2019, the enrolment periods at State schools, are from Monday 15 January to Friday 23 February 2018.
Outside these periods , you should contact the Department of Education, Youth and Sport.
Choosing a school for your child
You can choose between:
- State education
- Private education under contract
In the state sector, the school your child will attend depends on the geographical area in which you live. If you wish your child to attend a school in a different area, you should send a letter to the Department of Education, Youth and Sport before 15th June, requesting an area exemption.
While awaiting a reply, you should enrol your child in the school in your area.
Collating the documents
To apply, you will need the following documents:
- The enrolment form
- A certificate of nationality and domicile for Monegasques and Monegasque ascendants
- A certificate stating that you have lived in Monaco for at least three months, for people domiciled in Monaco
- If you have moved to Monaco recently: a residence card or a confirmation slip for a residence permit (note that enrolment will only be definitive on presentation of a photocopy of your residence card)
- The child's certificate of civil status, a photocopy of your family record book or a birth certificate showing proof of parentage
- A photocopy of the child's vaccination records
- Three window envelopes (DL 110 x 220) with stamps affixed at the current postal rate
- Three ID photos of the child
- For divorced parents: the divorce ruling (translated into French if necessary) and, in cases of shared parental custody, a letter from the second parent authorising schooling in Monaco, accompanied by a photocopy of an official document (such as an ID card or driving licence.)
- For parents who are separated: a photocopy of the official document specifying the adult who has custody and, in cases of joint parental custody, a letter from the second parent authorising schooling in Monaco, accompanied by a photocopy of an official document (such as an ID card or driving licence.) If you do not have an official document, you should provide a photocopy of a family allowance statement and a photocopy of your social insurance card.
Submitting the application
Registrations will be taken in the secretarial offices of the schools concerned BY APPOINTMENT ONLY during official enrolment periods only.