Information Formalities for stays abroad

Print page

Contact details

Département des Relations Extérieures et de la Coopération

Ministère d'État
Place de la Visitation

Ministry for External Relations :
(+377) 98 98 89 04

Send us an email


See on a map

Département des Relations Extérieures et de la Coopération

Ministère d'État
Place de la Visitation

Phone : (+377) 98 98 89 04

Send us an email

Documents Required for a Tourist Trip

For any tourist trip abroad, it is strongly recommended that Monegasque nationals carry their passport, which must be valid for at least six months after the expected date of return.

In general, for all travel abroad, the person travelling must approach the Consulate or the Embassy of the country to find out about the necessary formalities (visas, vaccinations, etc.) that will enable them to enter and stay in that State.

Consult the table of web sites to access the formalities required for each country .

Take the precaution of keeping a photocopy at home of the documents you are carrying with you (in case of loss or theft abroad), as well as at least 2 ID photos.

You are reminded that the persons wishing to travel are solely responsible for their decision to visit a foreign country, whatever the security advice given by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, which cannot, under any circumstances, be held responsible for incidents or accidents that may occur during a trip.

In case of difficulties abroad, contact the Embassies or Consulates of Monaco or, if that is not possible, the French Embassies or Consulates .

Visas to Study, Work or Settle Abroad

All Monegasque nationals wishing to study, work or settle abroad must be in possession of a visa (except in the case of France).

The person concerned must approach the authorities of the foreign country, either at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or via the diplomatic representation of that State (Embassy or Consulate).  As each country has specific visa regulations, it is not possible to recommend one single course of action.

Nevertheless, Monegasque nationals are often requested to provide the foreign authorities with certificates, as well as Monegasque administrative documents and documents from the university or school at which he or she has been accepted or the company in which he or she is going to work.  These documents should be translated into the language of that country.

In practice, Monegasque nationals will be assisted in their application for the issuance of a foreign visa by the school, university or company to which he or she applied and been accepted.

Minors Travelling Abroad 

A minor travelling with his or her parents must carry identity papers in his or her name (ID card or passport, depending on the destination).

Minors who are not accompanied by their parents must also carry an authorisation to leave the territory, signed by one of the parents and accompanied by a photocopy of the signatory parent's ID document.

See the procedure: "How to obtain permission for an unaccompanied minor to leave the country "

Last update: 06/06/2017

Your suggestions

Do you have any ideas or suggestion ?

We would like to hear from you!

Click here

Latest site updates

Factsheets, sections or press releases that have been added recently or updated

See the latest updates